Saturday, March 15, 2008

Advice on Giving Advice

by Pamela Jett

I was having a conversation with a client the other day and we were talking about a few logistical details of their meeting. Obviously, how my clients opt to run their meetings is completely up to them. I am there as a hired professional. As such, I am there to provide a service and to do everything possible to ensure that my portion of the event is a success. While this particular client is a very competent professional, her experience with meetings is not as substantial as mine. And, I recognized immediately that one of her logistical decisions, while well intended, would likely negatively impact the success of her event. Now, I am in a difficult position. I would like to give her advice or feedback. However, she has not asked for my opinion and just might be offended if I freely offer it. On the other hand, I have a responsibility to my clients to do everything I can to help their events be amazing.

Have you ever been in a situation similar to this? I am confident many professionals often find themselves wanting to give advice or feedback to colleagues or other professionals. It is easy to do when you are the leader; however, when it is peer to peer (or friend to friend, spouse to spouse) it can be a bit more delicate.

There is a wonderful question I would encourage professionals to master that can help open the door to feedback. I have found it tremendously useful personally and professionally. I learned it when an esteemed colleague used it on me! The question is, “are you open to some feedback?”

When we ask “are you open to some feedback” before offering our opinion or advice, we are engaged in what I would consider an interpersonal form of permission marketing. The vast majority of individuals will typically give you permission. And, they will likely be more open to your advice or information because you showed respect for them by asking permission first. Try it and send me an e-mail, Pamela@JettCT.com, to let me know how it works for you.

Pamela Jett is a communication skills expert who believes that words matter. She works with organizations, associations and individuals who want to improve their communication skills for business and personal success. She can be reached toll free at 866.726.5388 or at her website www.JettCT.com .

No comments: