Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Decision Making 101

by Pamela Jett

In the light of recent news headlines featuring the poor choices made by one very public figure, I have been thinking about decision making and how, on occasion, most of us would love to be able to turn back the hands of time and make a different decision or choice. And, it would be nice to have a tool to help us make better decisions in the moment.

I believe that in the midst of making even the most complicated decision or choice we can benefit by using the following question. “Is making this decision (doing x), moving me closer to or further away from the person I want to become?” To me, this is a powerful question because it helps cut through all the clutter and get to the heart of the matter.

Of course, if we opt to use this technique, we must first know who we want to become. We must, as Stephen Covey would advise, begin with the end in mind. This concept of beginning with the end in mind is crucial to all types of success. I recently listened to Suze Orman give financial advice to women and her first admonition was that women need to see the possibilities of financial freedom, to know what it would be like and how they would live if they were financially secure. Essentially, she asked them to begin with the end in mind. I have also noticed that all of the current buzz surrounding the law of attraction rests on the notion that you have to put out to the universe what you want. Again, begin with the end in mind. And so it is with decision making. If we want to make better decisions we must first know who we want to be; or the type of leader we want to be; or the type of spouse, or the type of parent, etc… Then, the question of “is making this decision moving me closer to or further way from the person I want to become?” amazingly powerful.

For example, I want my size 8s back, so just this morning I was feeling a bit lazy and unmotivated and I couldn’t decide if I had it in me to go to the gym. So, I asked myself is going to the gym moving me closer to or further way from my size 8s? I went to the gym. A leader can ask themselves is doing this project myself or delegating it to an employee moving me closer to the empowering leader I want to be or further way? The support staff person who wants more recognition and opportunity could ask themselves is volunteering for this project moving me closer to or further way from my professional goals? The question simply cuts through the clutter. And, it is a powerful question that can help with small, everyday decisions (like the gym) to big life altering decisions.

Imagine what a difference this question might have made at a crucial decision making moment in one public figure’s life? What difference might it make in yours? How do you plan to use this question? I am eager to know your personal applications and success. Send me an e-mail at Pamela@Jettct.com and share your experiences.

Pamela Jett is a communication skills expert who believes that words matter. She works with organizations, associations and individuals who want to improve their communication skills for business and personal success. She can be reached toll free at 866.726.5388 or at her website http://www.jettct.com/ .

No comments: